We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Vegetable cakes
- Carrot cake
- Pineapple carrot cake
An animal-product free, carrot cake. This cake is full of flavour, very moist and light and looks great too! I use vanilla bean pods rather than extract, but extract works just as well too.
Yorkshire, England, UK
12 people made this
- 290g plain or wholemeal flour
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg equivalent of Ener-g egg subsitute
- 300g grated organic carrots
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 1 small tin crushed pineapple
- 180ml vegetable oil (or nut oil)
- 60ml good quality maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 100g chopped walnuts or pecans
- For the cream "cheese" frosting
- 220g soya cream cheese
- 75g vegan margarine (soya tastes nicest)
- 1 vanilla bean pod or 1 teaspoon essence
- 250g icing sugar
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Extra time:4hr chilling › Ready in:5hr5min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Line the bottom of three 9" cake tins with parchment and lightly grease with low fat "butter" spray.
- In a large bowl mix together: flour, bicarb, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon and ginger. In a separate bowl using an electric whisk mix the egg replacer and sugar until creamy, add the vanilla, oil and maple syrup.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well blended. Add the carrots, coconut, pineapple and nuts and mix well. Divide the mixture equally between the 3 tins.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool slightly before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the margarine and cream cheese until just mixed together; do not over-beat. Sieve the icing sugar into the mixture and stir until well mixed, add the vanilla and mix again. Chill the icing until the cake is cooled completely.
- Layer the cake with a small amount of icing in between each layer, then cover the outside with the remaining icing. This icing tends to be runnier than a regular cream cheese icing, but will firm up once chilled.
- Decorate with halved walnuts or pecans. Chill for about 4 hours or overnight if possible (if you can wait that long!!).
Use a lazy susan to help ice the cake!
This cake is already naturally low fat as it does not have animal ingredients, using wholemeal flour gives it a "nuttier" flavour and also makes it even healthier!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (3)
Perfect-01 Apr 2018
Perfect, wonderful and scrumptious-04 Oct 2016
I'm thinking if making this cake for my daughters birthday, is there something I can substitute for the crushed pineapple. Thank you. P.s. I haven't tried this recipe so I'm unable to give a star rating but as it won't let me post without one I will give it an untested 3 star-16 Aug 2015